Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Karaoke Can Do Wonders

Yes. I've done it.

I've sang Karaoke. I'll admit it.

Not recently mind you, but I've done it before. A buddy of mine is doing it on a regular basis now. Heck, he's even entering himself into contests and such. I've never personally heard him sing yet, but I will before too long.

Of course, if it's open I'll find myself going up there and doing a number as well.

The thing is, when I've done it before, I usually do it for comedic value. Songs I've performed are never usually "serious" tunes. David Lee Roth's "Just A Gigalo", and Meatloaf's "Paradise By The Dashboard Light" (when I can talk a female into doing a duet with me) have been my only repeat performances.

When I was on a business trip (man, I love saying that since in my working career I've almost never been on a "business trip"), a number of us went to the bar in the motel we were staying and sang karaoke. One of the guys, who I always thought was really funny went up after my "Paradise By The Dashboard Light" debut performance and sang "Natural Woman".

It was hilarious.

The absurdity of a guy singing this female ballad, I thought, was utterly, comedically brilliant.

If only he had capitalized on it. If he had, he would have been about 7 years ahead of The Dan Band.

Ladies and gentlemen, The Dan Band (started by lead vocalist Dan Finnerty) is absolute, 100% uncut, unrefined, pure, high grade GENIUS! If you've seen the movie "Old School", they are Frank's wedding singers. But their show? Their stage performance? Oh, my sweet heaven. It almost makes me kick myself in the ass for not coming up with this myself.

Don't believe me? Tune in to Bravo this weekend and catch their concert. It's brilliant. Absolutely freakin' BRILLIANT!

Three guys singing almost nothing but "female empowerment"-type songs.... and the women in the audience just absolutely going completely ape shit. After that show, there's not a single female in that crowd that wouldn't immediately have sex with these guys.

Utter genius.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very Smart Man!!

Michael Brown said...

Thanks, doll!