Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Good Television - Part 2: Drama

And we're continuing the "Good Television" series of posts. This time out I'm going to highlight some of what I believe to be, the best television drama out there right now. The kind of shows that make you wait that extra 5 minutes with a full bladder so you can pee during the commerical break so you won't miss a moment. [side note: oh, and you can click on the pictures for the larger image.]

So, without further ado...

House -- Frankly, I was estatic to hear that Hugh Laurie was going to star in a series here in America. Why do I say "here in America"? Because much to the surprise of some people I know, no one realized that he's British. I've been a long time Hugh Laurie fan, especially his three seasons on Rowan Atkinson's brilliantly funny Blackadder series. His comedic performances also stood out when he was along side fellow Blackadder alumnus, Stephen Fry (i.e. "A Bit of Fry & Laurie" and P.G. Wodehouse's "Jeeves & Wooster"). How utterly shocked was I that not only was Laurie playing an American in the role, but also hitting a homerun on the dramatic front as Dr. Gregory House. This show is great, and (although I could be wrong since Fox will cancel a show at the drop of a hat) I believe it will be a cornerstone program at Fox for a good long while (there... now I've cursed it). [side note: Sela Ward being in the cast doesn't hurt either. mrOWL!]

Rome -- I know. I know. Again, with the HBO! But, dammit, this show is quite possibly the best hour of dramatic television out there right now (granted we're all waiting for that new Sopranos season, but still). Rome has everything! Violence! Sex! Intrigue! Politics! History! Religion! Adventure! Granted, one could say the same of Deadwood. BUT SCREW THAT! That was a Western! Keep your Western! THIS IS THE BLOODY ROMAN EMPIRE!!! IT'S GREAT!!! ... er... um... ahem ... heh heh... Bit of personal preference showing, I know. I could write a whole entry on this show. Every character, every role, even down to the slightest supporting cast member, is performed at the highest level. Honestly, this show will sweep the Emmy's next year. You heard it here first. Yes. It is that good.


The West Wing -- Speaking of politics... this show still consistantly delivers. Great characters. Great cast. Engaging storylines. It's like the prize fighting champ of political drama. It just won't go down. It is so far beyond ABC's attempt at paddling in this particular pond with their "Commander In Chief" it's not even funny (sorry Gina Davis... you'd get points for playing a female President if Battlestar Galactica didn't beat you to that particular punch last year... [shrug], plus you're on opposite "My Name Is Earl", so with me... you're screwed). Oh, and I know the upcoming live Presidential debate show is completely a sweeps gimmick, but dammit, if it isn't a brilliant sweeps gimmick!








Boston Legal -- Two words: William. Shatner. 'Nuff said.






Honorable Mentions:
  • Desperate Housewives [I'm calling it a drama, even if some call it a comedy, and you can't ignore the ratings and the hype on this monster]
  • Every version of Law & Order [I would've included this above, as I think this show is absolutely riviting, but it would've taken three of my four "feature slots"]
  • Every version of C.S.I [Also not mentioned above for the same reason as L&O. This would've turned into the "C.S.I./L&O Only" entry.]
  • E.R. [still an excellent show, but I had to give mad props to Hugh Laurie as my "medical drama" pick first].

7 comments:

Ms. Hep said...

House is excellent, I agree. And while I'm an ER fan from wwaaayyy back (the inaugural season), it has kind of back-slid down the "Unoriginal" or "Lack of creativity" hill for me as of late.

Anonymous said...

Totally agree about House. Very awesome show.

Anonymous said...

I love House !

Ms. T said...

Ditto on loving House, but I can't look at Hugh without seeing The Gorgeous Georgina! HAH!

Dr. Zoom said...

It took me an embarrassingly long time before I realized that was Hugh Laurie on "house" -- yes, THAT Hugh Laurie.

That One Chick You Know said...

House is the coolest.

Michael Brown said...

Man... you wimmin-folk sure do like House (er... DrZoom excluded, of course).