Sunday, October 30, 2005

A Class Act

So, I've been doing stand-up comedy for almost a year now. Granted it's mostly been 5 minute "open-mic" bursts of comedy one night, every other week but, hey ... it's still comedy. I've performed at different clubs, but my "home club", as it were (where I started and where the bulk of my performing has been), is The Loony Bin Comedy Club in Little Rock, Arkansas.

Since I've been doing this, I've met a LOT of comedians. A few were a bit stand-offish to us "open mic"-ers. After all the sets are done and the crowd is leaving, we'll generally stand around and sort of do a "post game" wrap up. Those of us who are marginally serious about doing comedy as a career find this is usually the best time to actually talk briefly with the people who have actually MADE a career out of it. We'll go up to the Feature Act or the Headliner after the show, joke about the crowd, compliment them on having a good set ... whatever. What we're really doing is semi-sorta sucking up to these people, trying our best to get some pearl of wisdom from them about either the comedy craft or the business or both.

Like I said, some of them bristle at our awkward attempts at conversation about comedy. Others, however, welcome the fact that those of us dipping our big toes in the comedy pool to test the waters want to know what it's like when your swimming in the deep end. Generally the comedians who are approachable and friendly are of two types:

  • the ones who have been in the business a while and can appreciate the fact that there are those of us enrolling into a new "Freshman" generation of comedians because we're keeping (or trying to keep) this art form from fading away (... live comedy, I mean. You'd be purprised how many crowds I've seen that act like they are watching us on television when we're on stage, but I digress).
  • the others are the ones who are just out of the gate in the business and can freshly recall when they were, not too long ago, in our shoes.

One of the comedians I've had the great pleasure to conversate with was Kelly Moran. Granted, you may or may not have heard of him, so here's a brief bio, lifted shamelessly from his own website:

Kelly Moran is a nationally touring comedian with over 19 years of experience. He not only headlines most venues, he has also worked with many different performers including Chris Rock, Dana Carvey, Richard Lewis, Dave Attell (from Comedy Central's "INSOMNIAC"), Bobcat Goldthwaite and Carrot Top. He also had an 18 month tour with another Saturday Night Live alum, Victoria Jackson. His comedy career started out by playing piano at L.A.'s famed Comedy Store, where he played for more than two years. He tickled the ivories for such great performers as Jim Carrey, Eddie Murphy, Robin Williams, Bruce Willis, Louie Anderson, Damon Wayans, Paul Rodriguez, Richard Pryor, Garry Shandling, Bob Saget and many, many more. After educating himself at the "Store", Kelly went off on his own and carved his own niche on the comedy circuit, where he has been recognized as one of the top stand up comedians touring today.

The guy has been around.

Which was why I was actually really thrilled that he talked with me as long as he did (for 20 minutes, or so, after the show ... the club people were really wanting us to leave). Being a recovering musician myself, I've always had a facination with musical comedians. I asked him about playing the piano at the Comedy Store and rubbing elbows with many of the comedians listed above. You have to think, he was there when quite a few of them started. Who wouldn't want to hear some first hand anecdotes and early shenanigans about Jim Carrey or Robin Williams?

He asked me how long I had been at the comedy thing. He comlimented me on my set. He said he could tell when some comedians "have it" and who "don't". He said I "have it", and I need to keep working at it to continue to "get it". He was really the first comedian I talked to who, in as much, gave me the big thumbs up. I thought it was very cool of him to even go out of his way, cut into his time, to even talk. Then Mr. Moran told me he was co-owner of a comedy club in Amarillo, Texas. When I had an audition tape (a video of my performaces, which I finally have) to send, he told me to fire one his way.

He was a helluva guy. He was a funny guy. He had class. I truly feel privilaged to share a stage with him, even if it was just one night and I was only up there for 5 minutes.

Kelly Moran was found dead this past Tuesday in his home in Amarillo.

Shit...

My sincere condolences to Kelly's family and friends.

3 comments:

That One Chick You Know said...

Sorry to hear about the news however, I'm glad you got to share some of his life when he was here.

It's a good story.

avandamanders said...

Wow... Standup, huh? It just so happens that I happen to be a GREAT fan of standup. One of my dream careers (along with state assemblywoman) is to be a standup critic. My idea of a great day is plopping down with my sister and watching HOURS of standup - commenting on the strengths and drawbacks of each performance. (And believe me, when my life was slower - I did this quite often.)
So - when you book a big gig - send me a ticket?

Ms. Hep said...

My condolances, dear. What a loss.